If there is one thing we all know as online entrepreneurs is that the market is competitive. Countless online businesses are being launched as you read this and many are failing at the same time. If you want to grow a successful and sustainable brand online, you need to have a brand focus.
When I started my business in 2018 and decided to bring it online, I was overwhelmed by choices. The niche choices, the social media platform choices, the strategy choices, and the list long of tools to use.
The world is big online and the possibilities are countless.a When everyone is talking about their 6-figure business, it’s inevitable to be tempted to follow their methodology.
I’ll admit, I had a serious case of shiny object syndrome, and the fact that there is a name for my scattered brain just shows that I’m not alone in this.
Too much money was flushed down the drain and too much time was wasted. Instead of defining my niche and creating a clear and focused strategy that would fit my business model and brand, I was busy investing time and money following the tactics and advice of others.
Here’s the thing, it’s good to test new tactics but only when you’re laser-clear on your brand. Otherwise, you won’t be able to draw accurate conclusions and you’ll be pushed further away from your goals.
Everyone expects to start a business today and be a millionaire tomorrow, but the key to building a successful business, that will actually last more than 1 year, is to take it step-by-step. It’s an endurance game, a marathon, with the goal to grow sustainably.
What is Brand Focus?
Brand focus means building a brand with a very specific focus. Instead of doing all the things, you focus on doing one thing and doing it well.
To successfully implement this focused approach you need to translate it into every aspect of your business and brand, from the big picture to the small details.
In practice a brand focus looks like this:
- A clear niche with a specific target group and select offers
- One business model
- A branding strategy that uses a specific methodology, for example, personal branding
- A clear positioning and value proposition
- A focused action plan
Having a brand focus doesn’t mean that diversification isn’t possible. It only means that diversification needs to come from the core of the brand and use its strengths.
Brand focus isn’t static but fluid. Through creative thinking, you can still find solutions to diversify without moving past your brand’s strengths.
Why Should You Focus?
There are so many benefits of having a brand focus and entrepreneurs are noticing that.
I’m slowly seeing online entrepreneurs move away from full diversification to a more focused approach. An approach that many old and new business leaders have been teaching.
A few reasons why you should have a brand focus:
- To maximize your resources: We all have limited resources (time, energy, money, skills, etc.), and by having a brand focus you put your resources, there where bring most ROI.
- You can’t do it all: I’m always talking about being the best of the best and especially in the entrepreneurial world, brand authority is important. Brand authority can only be achieved when you focus on maximizing your strengths, mastering your craft, and delivering value on the thing you’re an expert on.
- To increase productivity in your business: Instead of spreading your attention over all the things, focus on doing one thing before stacking something else on top. This focused approach will increase your daily productivity and business results.
Check out this video of Youtuber, Sunny Lennarduzzi, about the impact that a brand focus approach had on her business.
How to Find Your Brand’s Focus
The first step to finding your brand’s focus is to find your niche. Your niche is going to determine your business model, which in turn determines your strategy, and your strategy together with the stage your business is in will determine your activities.
When you choose a focused niche, you have to implement this same approach to the rest of your business. It’s also important to remember that focus is going to be the guiding principle of your business moving forward.
Before starting a new project, the current project has to be finalized and reviewed. Instead of trying to be active on all social media platforms, you choose one to optimize and automate before moving to the next one.
This focused strategy for doing business is what will eventually bring more ease into building your brand and increases your of building a successful business.
These are the 4 steps to find your brand focus:
- Find and define your niche by specifying:
- Unique Selling Point
- Ideal Client/Audience
- Business Model
- Define your messaging by specifying:
- Core Values
- Value Proposition
- Create your strategy & plan and include:
- Marketing Funnel
- Content Marketing Plan
- Define your action plan (your brand focus)
- Through a campaign & marketing calendar
In order to find your brand focus work through the 4 steps. The last step is where you will craft your brand focus action plan. A good brand focus can only be created when you apply the same focused approach to the previous steps.